Mom’s Haven of Hope
Board Member Job Description
Mom’s Haven of Hope’s mission is to assist single mothers and their children in achieving economic self-sufficiency through access to affordable housing, support services, mentoring, child development services and life skills training. The end goal is a self-sufficient single mother with advanced life skills and spiritual growth who will be able to provide a loving, nurturing and positive environment for her children. Mom’s Haven of Hope will be the bridge between existing crisis/shelter services and independent living.
For more information, please see our website at www.momshavenofhope.org.
The Board will support the work of Mom’s Haven of Hope and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations, service to clients and direction of the staff is the responsibility of Mom’s Haven of Hope’s executive director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he implements Mom’s Haven of Hope’s strategic plan.
- Evaluate annually the performance of the Executive director.
- Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Set organizational policy.
- Approve and monitor annual budget and plan.
- Help develop a mission and vision statement and review periodically.
- Participate in the establishment of a strategic plan for the organization (to help ensure future success and survival).
- Assist the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other board or committee members.
- Evaluate organizational effectiveness in accomplishing Board-approved objectives.
- Serve on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments.
- Become informed and educated about the organization and the mission of which it is a part.
- Read and be familiar with the organization’s by-laws; plus review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Serve as a liaison to other community and church organizations acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- Support the programs and services of the organization and speak on its behalf, as able.
Mom’s Haven of Hope board members will make personal annual donations that reflect their commitment to the mission and/or raise funds for the organization in a unique way. It is the responsibility of the board members to actively plan and participate in fundraising events sponsored by the organization and to solicit contributions from foundations, organizations and individuals.
All Mom’s Haven of Hope board members will serve two year terms, but will be eligible for re-appointment for up to five consecutive terms. Board meetings will be held monthly with video chat meetings or committee meetings held once in-between scheduled board meetings. During the capital fundraising campaign and the procurement of a housing unit, board members are expected to work about 10 hours a month on board related business including the meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Mom’s Haven of Hope’s mission and who feels called to serve in this capacity. Ideal candidates will be in prayer for the ongoing work of Mom’s Haven of Hope and will work hard to discern God’s will without hidden agendas. This person will be an active participant on the board and must be willing to put in the work required to maintain the viability of Mom’s Haven of Hope. The ideal candidate will bring to the board personal or professional expertise from the areas of marketing, legal, finance, business, fundraising, social services, or non-profit/religious sectors.
Service on the Mom’s Haven of Hope’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative costs in relation to the board members’ duties.
If you are interested, please email your interest and qualifications to:
[email protected] or call Pam at 612-709-2850.